Sunday, January 30, 2011

There'sssNo Day Like a Snow Day

I really couldn't get over the back-to-back snow days in the middle of last week. That's 3 full days of classes that DCCC has cancelled so far this semester, plus a couple evenings and some late starts. There have been more snow cancellations in the first 3 weeks of this semester than in the 6 years I was at Binghamton University in upstate New York. I have somewhat mixed feelings about it, too. In one sense, like my students, I'm happy to get an unexpected day off. On the other hand, it makes it hard to do the necessary things one must do at the beginning of a semester to ensure a good class (i.e. get to know your students, set a regular rhythm for workload, etc.).

I guess I should just be grateful that I have a job that not only gives me summers off, but also random off-days in the winter. And -- as good fortune would have it -- I found out that I am going to be offered a permanent faculty position here at DCCC. When I was first hired last year, I was only given a one-year contract. I had to re-apply this past fall for a permanent, tenure-track position. After 3 separate interviews (one on the phone, one with the "search committee," and one with the Provost), I was finally offered the job! I absolutely plan on accepting it, as I've really enjoyed my first year teaching here and also like the area very much. (Compared to upstate New York, PA winters are no big deal.)

This weekend, Yuriko and I went to see a Reading Royals hockey game (they won, yay; no major fights, boo). We also saw Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington. This turned out to be one of the best concerts I have ever seen. For anyone who loves soul music, know that it is still alive and well. Sharon Jones and her opening act (Charles Bradley) summoned the spirits of great artists like James Brown as they did their thing, singing and dancing with tremendous passion and virtuosity.

I wasn't able to take any pictures from the concert, but I'll close by posting some shots from the hockey game.

Now can we get through a full week of classes without a blizzard? I guess we'll see soon enough.





No comments: